Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Federal

How do I change my Prior Year return after it has been accepted by the IRS?

You may not e-file an additional return once the IRS has processed and accepted the return - even if you are trying to correct it. If you need to make a change to your accepted return from the previous year, you must file an amended return using the Form 1040X. This form must be mailed to the IRS. It cannot be filed electronically.

Prepare your 1040X directly through your TaxSlayer account:

If your return was accepted through TaxSlayer and you need to prepare an amended return, you can do so directly through your account.


To begin preparing your 1040X after your return has been accepted, log in to your account and click Prior Years on the Your Account screen. From here, select Access Return next to the desired year followed by Access Return. To complete the amended return, select the option "Amended Return" located on the navigation bar on the left hand side of the program.  The next screen will show important information regarding the form 1040-X. Once you have read this information please click "Continue". The fee to prepare the prior year amended return with TaxSlayer is $41.99. TaxSlayer will then walk you through preparing your amended return with a detailed list of instructions. Once the amended return is completed, print the amended return and mail it to the IRS and/or state taxing authority. Mailing addresses can be found by clicking here. Do not forget to sign your amended return after printing.

How else can I prepare an amended return?

The 1040X form is also available at the IRS website. The IRS does not accept amended returns electronically. This type of return must be mailed to the IRS service center that services your area.